Saturday, March 17, 2007

I'm having trouble sitting down because TV On the Radio rocked my ass off


Brooklyn rockers TV On the Radio played a show at The Orpheum tonight, just a couple of blocks from my apartment. The show was incredible - band sounded great, the sell-out crowd had a ton of energy, and at the end of the show the applause was the loudest and most enthusiastic I've ever heard after a concert. Combining elements of rock, r&b, a cappella and jazz, they are the most popular experimental band in indie rock.

I've long admired TV On the Radio's recordings, but at the start of the show I was a little worried that their dense, layered, and studio effect-heavy sound (think Radiohead meets Parliament) wouldn't make for the most exciting live show. Needless to say, I was way off. Their songs proved surprisingly easy to sing and tap-your-foot along with in person, and at one point during "Staring at the Song," I turned around to see an audience entirely swept away by the music they were hearing. It was borderline euphoric. Highlights included "Province," "A Method," and "Staring at the Sun," though with Jaleel Burton's bass drum cranked up to "approaching tyrannosaurus" levels, every song left an impression.

More tomorrow when my ears have stopped ringing an I'm actually able to to think straight.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Told you that you should go. Where would you be without your caring younger brother?