Tuesday, December 30, 2008

grandparents

When I visited my grandparents over the holidays, we talked about their being discriminated against as Jews in the 30s and 40s.

My grandfather talked about how, growing up in baltimore, he didn't know people hated jews until he got to college. my grandmother talked about going out on dates in college with men who would say "you can always tell a jew girl by the dark circles under her eyes" or some such. She would then inform them that she was jewish and didn't want to see them anymore.

I told them not to worry, we now had muslims as the religious minority to be suspicious of and exclusionary towards. they laughed.

1 comment:

Wade Garrett said...

That's interesting. What did your grandparents think of the comparison? My guess would be that, because Muslims in America are probably more easily identifiable by their appearance, what happened with your mother on her dates would probably not happen very often today. That doesn't mean the tensions aren't there, they're just less likely to be accidentally exposed by someone who doesn't know his audience.