Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Seriously?

an expose opinion piece about hooking up? seriously. in 2008? I was going to try to ignore this, but it has been on the "most beloved" list for several days. Hell, an authority figure gave a speech about the dangers of hookup culture at my college's graduation when I was a sophomore. She gave it again when I was a senior and I thought it was tired then in 2003. I guess this is just one of those "go to the well" topics that people will always be excited to read about because it combines the prominent themes of "sex" "the world is going to hell" and "kids today." I am surprised it doesn't tell me that those who date in college (rather than hook up) are more likely to land prestigious jobs and live on the upper east side. that would have been an editorial grand slam.

3 comments:

Jake said...

The link ends with "13blow.html". That's funny.

Senor Beavis said...

Wow, that piece was a real Bl...

I can't do it. I'm not taking a layup.

(This was also old news when I was in college, which would be 3 years before y'all).

Wade Garrett said...

That was my reaction more or less word-for-word. This sort of story is at least ten years ago, and until this past weekend I was under the impression that Tom Wolfe had buried it six feet under when he published "I Am Charlotte Simmons." But maybe I was wrong.