Thursday, December 11, 2008

tea

I drink tea at my office. several cups a day. Coffee gives me too strong a jitter spike. tea keeps me alert without being too wired to concentrate. and managing hydration is easier. It took about 4 months for my superiors to stop giving me the hairy eyeball for drinking tea instead of coffee. There was a decidedly gendered bent to the teasing.

I drink mostly red rose black tea. I started because it was on sale once, but then I discovered that red rose comes with these lovely little china animals (hawk, fish, dog cat, duck). I collect them on my desk. They mark these nice, adult blocks of time. I finish a box every couple of months so I receive the present of the new one at just about the right interval where it is still exciting without being unattainable. I always wait until I used the last bag before taking the animal to my desk.

when I am feeling whimsical, I arrange them. sometimes I arrange them by ecosystems (who would live near whom), sometimes into food chains (who would eat whom). I might try to do phylogeny next.

I recently finished a box and had to start casting about into the other derelict tea boxes.

I had one cup of lapsang souchang. it was like drinking barbecue.

I am currently drinking oolong, which seems perfectly fine. but I really would like to get back to my animals.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post.

Elaine said...

that is like seven kinds of awesome.

Jake said...

This post cries out for a photo.

Senor Beavis said...

He who makes his underlings spend all day making PPTs comform to his personal style should probably not throw stones at those who drink tea.