Monday, January 5, 2009

it's a coincidence, I know.

In Bonfire of the Vanities, there is a throwaway character named Herbert 92X. He has adopted a muslim last name a la Nation of Islam. He has minimal agency and largely serves a signifier to and pawn of the white people in the Bronx DAs office.

There is also a sleek Saab sport wagon called the 92X that I saw on the road during my commute.

It is a complete coincidence so I won't bore you with my usual abstruse cultural sophistry. but I like the juxtaposition of (GM owned) swedish (corrected) luxury car and fictional downtrodden Bronx quasi-muslim.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude. Saab is/was Swedish, not German.

Ody said...

I was just noticing that error myself. thanks. never blog too early.

Wade Garrett said...

In this space we have previously discussed Tom Wolfe. I admit that some of the criticisms of him are valid, but Bonfires of the Vanities is a great book.