Monday, February 9, 2009

so, I'm a boy and I sometimes get things wrong. but I have been noticing young women coming into our office wearing decently expensive, clearly intentional outfits in which the pants/skirt has belt loops, but the women are not wearing belts. It looks weird to me, and it seems like a fashion faux pas. am I right about this? now remember, this isn't manhattan and these women aren't peacocks, so we are not dealing with a situation in which they are so fashion-forward as to blow my mind. we are talking jackets, skirt, cardigan, a couple of accessories. Am I hidebound by a non-existent principle, or are these women giving away the points for put-together-ness that they have worked pretty hard to attempt to win?

5 comments:

Senor Beavis said...

How does the skirt fit them? I confess that aside from suiting up, my belt-wearing tends to focus on whether or not my pants would fall down without one. I will accept your DOWNGRADE.

Fletch said...

In fairness, well fitted clothes need no belt to stay on. At least if there is a minimum of ass. Can we assume that this complaint means that you do never leave home unbelted?

Wade Garrett said...

I think that, if pants have belt loops, then a belt needs to be worn with them, unless you're going very casual. Certainly I would always wear a belt to work. Otherwise, the naked belt loops look funny. I think that's more true for women than for men, because they make belt loop-less pants for women, and they don't make them for men, unless you count nylon tricot as an acceptable material to wear to work.

I also think that the increasingly-popular look of wearing a belt over a dress or a long sweater is weird. Belts can be fashionable, but form has to follow function to some degree, and wearing a belt that doesn't even pretend to hold anything up is weird to me.

8yearoldsdude said...

a note to all: this question was for business-dress only. what you do in your off time is your business. I barely even wear pants when not in the office.

and wade: those un-belts do have a function. They are functioning as sashes to shape the line of the garment and to accentuate the natural curve and variation from waist to hip.

Paul Smecker said...

it seems sloppy to me, but it's far from clear. the answer for men is quite obviously that it's sloppy. (this always causes hilarity on office jeans days, because you feel like an asshole at the office without a belt, but you look like a homer if you belt your jeans and tuck your shirt in. this is why jeans days are stupid. the only solution is to use one of those land's end canvas belts. then you look like you're from greenwich, but at least it has some element of style.)

however, women's clothing are confusing and weird, so it may well be OK somehow. but my suspicion is that it's not and that boston females are bringing their usual styleFAIL.