Monday, March 2, 2009

Burning Questions and Other Monday Afternoon Stuff

1) A friend of mine is a librarian, and owns a t-shirt which reads "Archivists Make It Last Longer." I think we can agree that it is a pretty awesome slogan to have on a t-shirt. Question: Would that t-shirt be funnier on a guy, or on a girl?

2) Men carrying canvas tote bags: Is it hip, or just really gay?

3) A bakery that sells only muffins: A charming, only in Brooklyn sort of thing? Or annoyingly twee?

4) One of my roommates is home from work today because her employer is having a "snow day." Her employer is not a school. What do you think of this? Are we all in the wrong line of work?

5) I'd like to say to all of the haters who are going to dump all over the new U2 album without having heard it, because U2 is too mainstream, or because "all of their songs sound the same," or because "Bono needs to shut his mouth," or because "they're an easy band for people who don't know a lot about music to like," this is what I have to say to you.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike U2 - for instance, if you legitimately dislike their music - but a substantial number of people my age and younger irrationally hate U2 because, let's face it, because they're very popular. They've been very popular for a very long time, and music snobs hate the idea that a band that's been popular in the mainstream for twenty-five years could actually be good, because if they admit that some mainstream bands could be good, they they would concede that they and their music-snob friends don't have a monopoly on good musical taste. And that really, really pisses them off. So they hate U2, they hate Coldplay, they hate the Strokes, you name it. Everybody knows some people like this. The Hulk knows what to tell them to do.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

One day when we lived in Austin, I woke up and looked out the window and said "oh it's raining. I better work from home today" and as I said that, I knew my employer would find it completely reasonable. It was then that I realized I had the best job in the world.