Monday, March 2, 2009

Therefore, ye soft pipes, play on!

My crush on Tina Fey is rivaled only by my man-crush on Alec Baldwin. Watching the "Rosemary's Baby" episode of 30 Rock, I came to the scene where Tracy Morgan's character goes to see a psychiatrist, and needs Alec Baldwin to help him role play a a conversation with his father. Baldwin asks Morgan what his father sounds like, and Morgan tells him that his father was "from funky north Philly, and he had a droopy lip due to an unattended root canal."

In response, Alec Baldwin said six words that sent a chill up my spine the likes of which I haven't felt since Fred Smerlas blocked a field goal to send the Buffalo Bills to the 1988 NFL playoffs. And those six words were: "I think I can do this"

I sat up straight on my couch, tense with anticipation, expecting Baldwin's impersonation of Tracy Morgan's deadbeat dad to be hilarious, but also, on some level, disappointing. If I've learned one thing from reading Keats, its that:
Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter, therefore, ye soft pipes, play on.
.

U2's new album, no matter how great, probably isn't going to live up to my expectations. The new Watchmen movie, no matter how bad-ass, is probably going to disappoint my expectations. But that's what makes Alec Baldwin Alec Baldwin - the scene that followed blew away my wildest expectations; I still laugh out loud every time I think about it. Here's why:

Oh, and the rest of the episode was pretty great, too. Rumors are that 30 Rock is going to get canceled after this season, when it will no doubt be replaced by some terribly 'reality' show, with a title like Milf Island. But come what may, we will always have the first three seasons of 30 Rock. They cannot fade, though thou hast not thy bliss, For ever wilt we love, and Liz Lemon be fair!

No comments: