Saturday, April 4, 2009

Criticism, Hardly Criticism

The Onion A.V. Club has been on fire lately, and Friday's column on cultural experiences you wish you could experience again for the first time is a perfect example. Its fun and insightful, and their love of the subject matter really shines through.

The two characteristics of the A.V. Club that drew me to it initially were the consistent high quality of their writing and the fact that I share the sensibilities of their writers - I just happen to enjoy most of the same stuff they enjoy, which means that I inherently trust their opinions on stuff that I've never been exposed to before. That's true of this list as well, which mentions The Wire, Friday Night Lights, David Cross, Patton Oswalt, Robert Altman, and so forth. But even if you aren't predisposed to liking those things, their enthusiasm for the material wins you over.

No comments: