Thursday, May 21, 2009

On Bon Jovi and Marcel Proust and Getting Old

Bon Jovi's "In These Arms" was playing the grocery store the other day. I'm a Bon Jovi fan - who isn't? - though not a particularly avid one, but for some reason I remember exactly where I was when I first heard this album. I was at a stayover party at a friend's house, and we stayed up to watch Saturday Night Live, which was hosted by Danny DeVito, and was one of the better episodes of the Dana Carvey/Mike Myers/Chris Rock/Phil Hartman era. Bon Jovi played a couple of great songs - "Wanted Dead or Alive" and "Bed of Roses" - and the next time my father took me shopping I picked up a copy of the album, Keep the Faith. I enjoyed the album, but don't have any particularly fond memories of its songs, though it did take me back to a time and place - seventh grade, the sleepover, etc - in a way that few albums from that era are able to. Bon Jovi's Keep the Faith album is to hair bands what Proust' madelines are to French literature.

When I got home from the supermarket, I googled "In These Arms," and found a video of Bon Jovi performing it in concert in which he introduces the song by saying that he really enjoys singing it and can't believe that its already ten years old. Then I realized that the video I was watching was itself seven years old, making "Keep the Faith" SEVENTEEN YEARS OLD and me an official old man. And it made me want to jump out the window.

"In These Arms"

2 comments:

Jake said...

I want bongo gloves like that dude wears.

Tom said...

Bon Jovi is huge in Japan. Huge.