Noteworthy links and other stuff we've been reading lately:
1) My Slope, Your Slope - Two people, a hipster actress who just moved in and a 63-year old man who's lived in the neighborhood since childhood compare notes on their favorite places in South Slope, Brooklyn. The guy's 'hoochie-mama' line cracks me up every time I think about it. From New York Magazine. The profile of Brighton Beach that ran a couple of weeks later was also a lot of fun.
2) This entire article, but particularly the photographs, cracked me up. Is it just me, or has The Onion been on a roll lately?
3) Scott Tobias officially inducts CSD favorite The Big Lebowski into the new cult canon.
4) Salman Rushdie has a new short story, "In the South," in latest issue of The New Yorker.
5) Anthony Lane on the new Star Trek film.
6) Random Rules with Kathy Foster - The Thermals' bassist sits down with the Onion A.V. Club to discuss what's on her iPod, and, unlike earlier Random Rules columns, you can now stream all of the songs right from the site! Also, the A.V. Club's Josh Modell reviews The Thermals' Now We Can See.
7) A song that's been getting a lot of play around CSD headquarters lately: My Morning Jacket's "Magheeta"