Friday, August 7, 2009

New To You

I play music at my desk when I work late, and for some reason Jenny Lewis and The National always seem to be what fits my mood at that time of day. Six or seven of my colleagues have poked their head in to say good things about The National over the past couple of weeks - which is only odd because the band is from Brooklyn, their most recent album is more than two years old, and I have played it as late-night background music in my office ever since I started working at my current job in January of last year. I play Jenny Lewis almost as often, and though she isn't a local artist, she is probably more well-known in the big scheme of things. I play both of them on a regular basis, so it confuses me why people have only begun to notice them recently, but it has been cool to realize that a couple of albums I have played so often that I have every word memorized and don't hear anymore as live in like a favorite t-shirt can still move the uninitiated. It reminds me of how great it was to hear them for the first time, how I heard them at very particular points in my life when I needed to hear somebody say those words in their exact tones, and how seeing somebody going through the same experience at a different time and for different reason is one of the things I like most about pop music.

Also, it provides me with a good reason to post some of their great live performances. I know I post a lot of indie rock YouTube videos on this site, but if you trust my taste in music enough to read this blog then these two are going to be worth eight minutes of your time.

4 comments:

Paul Smecker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wade Garrett said...

The difference is that the kids that made you feel self-conscious about not being up on the new music liked, or pretended to like, that music merely because it was new. That is entirely different from liking new (if you count something that came out in 2007 as "new") music because it is bitchingly awesome, critically adored and the band whose members happen to be your age and live one mile from where you work (and, in some cases, from where you live).

Its not just the 'cool kids' who are into these bands. My fifty-five year old boss' husband loved The National. But a lot of my colleagues haven't heard of them, even the ones who are really into all things Brooklyn.

Paul Smecker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wade Garrett said...

I don't mean to say that people are deficient in some way if they haven't heard of The National, I'm just surprised that more people haven't heard of them. Anyway, the whole point of this post was that I thought it was nice that a bunch of people who clearly have different tastes than me all like one of my favorite bands, and how little things like that build ties between coworkers and remind me of why I like music so much in the first place. That's all.