Sunday, August 9, 2009

Weekend Links

The New York Times gives a very favorable review to Lords of the Sea: The Epic Story of the Athenian Navy and the Birth of Democracy, by archaeologist, for Yale rower, and (I'm sure) all-around cool guy John Hale.

In New York Magazine, Will Leitch discusses why the New York Mets should make a run for Billy Beane, the

We like The PaperBackSwap, where you can mail people your old paperbacks that you don't want anymore and pick from millions of books to get in return. How did we now find out about this sooner?

The New Yorker's David Denby is surprisingly generous in his praise of Judd Apatow's Funny People.

We enjoyed The Onion A.V. Club's poll of 'celebrity BFFs.' Mine would be Jon Hamm and Paul Rudd - they just seem like cool guys; I think we'd hang really well together. The fact that they are both from the midwest and did not become stars until they were in their thirties is probably a big reason why.

"Sweet Darlin'", from She & Him's Volume 1 is the best 1960's girl-group song

And, finally, just because its awesome: a sweaty live version of The Thermals' "Pillar of Salt"

4 comments:

Ellen said...

PaperbackSwap is good, but at least when I used it it penalized you for not mailing out books in 24 hours. That's kind of unrealistic. I like BookMooch better.

I haven't seen "Funny People" yet. I feel as though I should and I can't put my finger on why I haven't -- oh wait, I can, it's Adam Sandler.

Ben said...

Great performance by The Thermals, though it would have been nice to see more of the other members of the band, especially Kathy Foster. So much energy though!

Ellen- Seriously? Who can gurantee that they can get to a post office within 24 hours? There is a post office two blocks away from where I live and even that isn't convenient enough.

Ellen said...

Ben -- I stand corrected, they have since changed it to a much more reasonable 5 days.

Wade Garrett said...

Five days is much fairer, but that's still cutting it pretty close. If you work at a company that has a mailroom that you can use for personal mail, then you are all set, but having to trek to the post office on your lunch hour and wait in line is hard to do more than once in a while. But its still a good idea - I for one cannot make myself pay cover price for a book like The Stand that has been in print for more than 15 years and probably has five million copies in circulation, yet never pops up in any of the used bookstores I frequent.