Monday, September 21, 2009

It Attracts A Bare Minimum of Window Shoppers

This weekend I made a pilgramage to Chicago's north side to visit Reckless Records, the record store that served as the model for Rob Gordon's Championship Vinyl in High Fidelity. The staff is more or less exactly what would expect it to be ("I hired these guys for three days a week, and they just kept showing up"), the inventory was fantastic, and, fortunately, nobody got their teeth knocked out with a telephone. My friends picked up a used five-disc collection of depression-era American roots music for the attractive sum of $20; I picked up two long-sought out-of-print CDs (The Complete BBC Recordings of Joy Division and the greatest hits of the lovely 80's college radio band The Go Betweens) as well as Jenny Lewis' Rabbit Fur Coat, the sort of beloved mainstream album that rarely shows up on the second-hand market. Really, I can't recommend it enough.

I got out of bed early and made a Monday morning mix tape of highlights from the weekend's haul. Check it out:

Joy Division - The Complete BBC Recordings

Jenny Lewis - Rabbit Fur Coat


The Go Betweens - 1978-1990

2 comments:

Senor Beavis said...

I'm glad you found a bargain there. I never have. That shit's marked way the fuck up just for the "ambiance."

Wade Garrett said...

I didn't find it to be too over-priced. The used cds I bought were $8.99 apiece (if memory serves) which is about right, or maybe a dollar more expensive than they might have been somewhere else. The Go-Betweens are out of print, so they could have charged even more for their stuff, presumably. Admittedly the used dvds were a little expensive, but that probably helps them afford to keep their inventory of obscure stuff on the shelves. All in all, I thought it was a cool store.