Tuesday, October 27, 2009

emo evening thoughts

I knew I was in trouble when I went to a website advertising "weddings on a dime" and the subheading was "customized to fit you $20k budget". This is one screwed up social convention. Zounds, I do not need a carriage, or a tent, or an army of waiters. I just need a half-way decent hall, some tables and chairs, and the right to bring in my own booze and food. you'd think I was an alien.

walking around head of the charles and reading the rowing jackets was like seeing a who's who of expensive suburbs across the country.

Paul Revere was not a particularly important patriot. Or not singularly important. He was one of 30 riders to Lexington and Concord. and was discharged from the revolutionary army for cowardice. He was prosperous in later life, and his family seems to have fought some kind of PR battle in the 1800s to get him into the national cannon. [ed. note:never walk the freedom trail with too critical an eye]

5 comments:

Laura said...

Zounds!

Wade Garrett said...

Some things about weddings are understandably expensive. But when a photographer charges twice as much for a wedding as he does for a family reunion, he deserves to get flicked in the balls.

Anonymous said...

I think that 'The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere' was probably a big part of that. I don't know what influence, if any, Revere's family had over Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, but they were a prominent, wealthy family in the Boston area at the time . . . so its definitely possible.

Ellen said...

I kind of like the idea of Revere's descendants commissioning an epic poem about him.

Paul Smecker said...

ouah lantahns aaaah moooah singnificant than yooooah lantahns! no one denies this! he rode wicked haaaaaahd!