Thursday, November 5, 2009

evening strategy thoughts

In my travels as new england brewer/patriot, I need to acquire unpasteurized cider for fermenting. It is pretty hard to find. I found a lovely man named Phil who sold me cider. I needed 6 gallons but only had enough money for 3. his response was to hand me an envelope with those free return-address tickers on them and say "mail me the rest. I've only had one envelope not come back" I am convinced that life as a consultant has ruined me because rather than thinking "what a nice man," my first thought was "what a great business strategy." Not only did he upsell me the extra 3 gallons, and I of course paid him, I told everyone about it. I am even going to rep him on my website.
Money is a terrible lens through which to view behavior.

There is a lot of talk about large market and small market baseball teams, but many of the big market teams split their market with another team: Yanks/mets, Cubs/white sox, Dodgers/Angels. I would love to see a normalized statistic about regional GNP per team. Are the Red Sox actually the owners of the best market by this statistic? Or do media revenue not scale linearly with population?

2 comments:

twoeightnine said...

Make your way to the Finger Lakes and you'll be able to buy fruits and vegetables, syrup, firewood and countless other things at stands manned by no one with only a price list and a lock box.

The one down my street has been there for 30+ years so obviously it works.

Wade Garrett said...

I love that aspect of upstate New York - in particular, the area around Ithaca seems to be full of those roadside produce stands.

I do not believe that media revenue scales lineraly with population, because there aren't a lot of small, rich cities. New York may have 30 times Buffalo's population, but it has 1,000 times as many rich people. So the ability to sell advertising at profitable rates and that sort of thing is disproportionately different. The same with companies - New York has 30 times Buffalo's population, but an even more disproportionately large number of big, profitable companies that can buy advertising, luxury boxes, etc. But you are right to say that teams with regional follows can often out-earn teams in bigger cities that have to share their market several ways; the Dallas Cowboys come to mind immediately.