Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"That's Why I Chose Yale"

The Yale University Development Office released this video as a way to sell Yale College to a generation of high school students raised on High School Musical and its sequels. Great. I kept waiting for it to turn into a Saturday Night Live or Triumph The Comic Dog sketch, but, sadly, it never happened.

Nobody will ever confuse me with Larry Csonka, but I grew up in a blue collar city, and have spent a significant amount of time over the past twelve years trying to convince my friends that Yale College consists of more than prancing little Lord Fauntleroy-types who juggle and sing a cappella and wear navy blazers and deck shoes, with modest success. But this video sends me back to square one. Its hopeless. Just kick our asses and get it over with.


A friend of mine has suggested that this video's earnestness and self-regard makes it seem more like something that Harvard would make; you would expect a video produced by Yale to be a little more ironic and self-deprecating. I have run this idea past a few people, and everybody agrees with her, but to somebody without an Ivy League background that probably sounds like a distinction without a difference.

2 comments:

8yearoldsdude said...

is this better or worse than Alexei whatshisname's video resume to investment banks. I thought that stereotype of doochily striving and out of touch was maybe more pernicious.

people who work in admissions are sortof like student government leaders--too invested in the system to mock it.

Wade Garrett said...

I think you're right. And, I suppose, self-deprecation is probably not the best approach when you are trying to appeal to a bunch of high school students whose bullshit detectors may not yet be finely tuned enough to see through the overstated bullshit that every other elite college in the country is selling them. But man, this was some painful shit to watch.