Monday, March 29, 2010

Winter's Tale - End of Book 3

Helpin continued to set the table in the second half of Book Three, bringing characters from early in the novel back to encounter the late 20th-century New Yorkers in a bizarre set of meetings. I don't know whether to think that Helprin's technique is sophisticated, or a little too fantastical for my taste - at times he explains away loose ends a little too abruptly for me, though the ride is always fun. There's a term for this (its escaping me right now) but this felt to me like the pre-second intermission song in a major musical, like "Tonight" or "One Day More," where all of the characters from the first few acts come together to sing with each other, but also in opposition to each other, and the final act's conflicts all get spelled out at once. I've given up trying to predict how the plot is going to turn next; I'm just enjoying the ride.

1 comment:

Night Writer said...

The players are all on stage. Peter Lake and Jackson Mead have returned. Harry Penn and New York never left (and neither did Pearly Soames, who is bumping his head behind the back curtain). The engines of the story have found their rhythm. And so we begin.