Sunday, April 18, 2010

Weekend Links

This may be the best Onion article in a very long time.

NPR's story about the poor rate of census returns in Brooklyn's Williamsburg neighborhood has inspired responses from The New York Times, Mayor Bloomberg, and, best of all, Stephen Colbert, who, in the process, may have created about three new in-jokes around CSD headquarters. The entire episode can be seen here.

The AV Club taste-tests Whipahol Whipped Lightning, an alcoholic foam, and gives it rave reviews. My favorite line: "I imagine this is what alcoholics think clouds taste like." Also in AV Club taste tests: The "McGangBang" (McChicken Sandwich inside of a double cheeseburger) and the McMorningWood (Egg McMuffin inside of a McDouble cheeseburger).

Twenty Things Worth Knowing About Beer, by web comics geniuses The Oatmeal.

"Prefiguration of Lalo Cura," a short story by the great Roberto Bolano, appears in the latest issue of The New Yorker.

In baseball: Oakland A's catcher Kurt Suzuki >makes one of the more athletic defensive plays you'll ever seen out of a catcher. Arizona shortstop Stephen >Drew's "throw fail" is already becoming the reference point for poor throws from the shortstop position.

And, finally, just because its awesome (and because I just got around to picking up a copy of the CD):

3 comments:

Beenee said...

How come you didn't post something from your new favorite movie? Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzifA0lwnpc

Ellen said...

I laughed at the hipster-census story until I realized I hadn't filled mine out. (Since corrected.)

I saw the Hold Steady on Saturday and they were awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnGMaTImgho

Wade Garrett said...

Beenee - Is that the scene where the little emo nerdy guy stands up to the jock by menacing him with a baseball bat while teachers LOOK ON WITH APPROVAL? That scene was so rad . . .

Ellen - I'm jealous. If they have another show in New York sometime soon, I say we get a group outing together. I've been listening to Stay Positive almost non-stop since I bought it, and its great - the term "mountaintop album" seems appropriate. They sound like they sounded on Boys and Girls in America and Seperation Sunday, but a better version of that, and every song is good. I would say that "Stay Positive" and "Sequesterd in Memphis" are the highlights, though the guitar solo in "Lord, I'm Discouraged" is totally bitchin' and sounds like it wandered out of the best-selling rock album of 1989.