Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It Takes Alison Brie to Make "Santa Baby" Palatable

I've gone on the record many times about my dislike of pop Christmas music, particularly those songs that are really love songs or break-up songs or . . . greed songs, that do not have anything to do with the religious holiday that is supposed to be the whole point of the enterprise.

"Santa Baby" is just such a song - its basically a song about a gold digger, and just uses Christmas as a way in. Also, it turns the otherwise-perfectly-find word "chimney" into a euphamism for "vagina."

Having said all of that . . . I don't mind this song when Alison Brie sings it, because Alison Brie is perfect. She has important roles in the best drama (Mad Men) and the best comedy currently on television (Community). And she's adorable. So, um, you may want to check this out:

4 comments:

Ellen said...

What made you such a Grinch?!

Wade Garrett said...

I grew up in one of the most Catholic cities in the country; Christmas is an all-out blitz. Christmas music begins two weeks before Thanksgiving, only most of it isn't actually about Christmas. "All I Want For Christmas Is You" is a mediocre song that is perpetually played on the radio because it has the word "Christmas" in the title. After a couple of decades, it wears on you.

But "Santa Baby" is allright when Alison Brie sings it.

Senor Beavis said...

I want to go to there.

Wade Garrett said...

@Senorbeavis - I know, right? My guess - just a guess - is that my blogmigos would agree, with the exception of the one that is newly married and the one who would probably regard her as a "boring white chick."