Sunday, December 12, 2010

Just to prove I'm not A TOTAL Grinch

Because I tend to be a bit of a hater when it comes to Christmas music and decorations, and because, for different reasons, Julian Casablancas and The Roots have been on my mind lately (the "Boombox" video and the outstanding album How I Got Over, respectively), I figured I would post one of my favorite Christmas videos, from an episode of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon that aired last December.

There's a lot to love about this video - a great vocal from Casablancas, The Roots performing so much better than Casablancas' actual band that they remind you once again that they are, arguably, the best band in America today. Also, watching the show live, before you knew that Julian Casablancas was going to be on, you see the beginning of the skit as a callback to this old Saturday Night Live skit before ?uestlove's drumming comes in from off-screen and the camera pans over to the stage as the surprised audience cheers. Very cool.

"I Wish It Was Christmas Today" is an example of the type of Christmas song that I enjoy - it isn't religious, but it about looking forward to the holiday, and enjoying the Christmas spirit. It is not a love song or a break-up song or a pity song masquerading as a Christmas song. Also, just as a general rule, Christmas music sounds a lot better when its performed by Julian Casablancas and The Roots, because they both totally own.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I can't believe I haven't seen this before!