Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Emo evening thoughts

Grantland feels very cynical to me, which is doubly sad because it comes from big names who made thier names being honestly excited in large part. Between gladwell, eggers, klosterman,and simmons, we have four aging men who made their bones as fresh informal voices in pieces they wrote a long time ago largely about being young people. I am rooting against this for reasons I am struggling to articulate. Maybe the whole point of the site is because they feel their knees going and want to retire/switch to management. There they can leverage their power into an executive role and the creativity will come from someone else (e.g., Molly Lambert). It feels like the end of the cycle for the informal, internal voice they pioneered (hell, the opening monologue had footnotes. Who knows if DFW would have signed on, let's hope not). The whole thing makes me sad, probably because it causes me to contemplate my mortality.

I am reading Unfamiliar Fishes. Sarah Vowell has that same informal, educated voice I mentioned above. It feels a little stale now. but the book is pretty readable.

I am really trying to make Big Bratwurst happen as a nickname for Dirk Nowitski. I am Lacy Chabert in Mean Girls.

2 comments:

Paul Smecker said...

nothing can be more blatantly cynical than "paper lion" and it's still really good. if grantland is "the new yorker for sports" i am fine with it.

Wade Garrett said...

I want to see what Grantland becomes. With a project like this, that has been built-up for months, you can't tell if the quality of the writing is going to remain consistently good, or if they've built up a reserve of good pieces that they will have difficulty sustaining once they've run the original lot. They have a lot of talented people, so I'm curious.

If there's one thing that it unequivocally cynical, it is Bill Simmons' insistence, in his introductory essay, that he was "meant to" write columns, like it was his calling or some bullshit like that. The man has written about ten columns in the past six months. He is more or less a full-time podcaster now, probably in an attempt to hone his chops so that he can eventually replace Tony Kornheiser on Pardon the Interruption, or something similar.