Sunday, September 4, 2011

in which i try to seem discerning about sofia coppola

I have recently seen both Somewhere and Marie Antoinette. I like Sofia Coppola movies. They are easy on the eyes and palette, particularly if you are young, and privileged. But I can't shake the sense that all Sofia Coppola movies are about sofia coppola. She has an uncanny knack for showing that being young and pretty and rich is lonely and emotionally nuanced. But because it so clearly looks like she is telling the story of her own life, every time she gives her girls too much credit, it makes her look vain. like when the 11 year old Elle Fannings makes perfect eggs benedict for her louche father in the Chateau Marmont. 11 year olds can't make eggs benedict.

Marie antoinette worked a little better. The emotional similarities between the priveleges american teens and marie antoinette was interesting and empathetic. and the fact that kirsten dunst is pretty vapid totally worked. but it made her maturation into a brave royal at the end seem unearned. anyway, i'd watch another one. and then complain about it to you.

Also, are Sofia Coppola and Charlotte Gainsbourg occupying the same cultural niche? Famous father (Francis Ford and Serge). Early fame/scandal caused by father's placing them in limelight (godfather III and Lemon Incest). not really a bombshell but very beautiful in thier own way. Very cool and tasteful seeming life. Making artistic life for themselves separate from parent. and brunette.

3 comments:

Senor Beavis said...

I haven't seen either movie, but I do believe that a privileged 11-year-old could make eggs benedict. She may have made them often with her parents or taken cooking classes. Repeat, I have not seen the movie and have no business commenting. But I've seen an 11-year-old make perfect crepes.

8yearoldsdude said...

but the egg poaching!
//you may have a point.

Senor Beavis said...

Our mom taught me to poach an egg before I was 11. I have since forgotten, which is fine because I'm not a huge fan anyway, but still.