Sunday, January 1, 2012

Reading Resolutions for 2012

1) Finish Roberto Bolano's 2666 - I may have to backtrack a little bit to refresh my memory about some of the characters. This novel is long, and not a quick read, but the spiffy three-volume set I picked up at a library sale should make it easier than the 900-page behemoth I lugged to the office and back all summer.

2) Read four or five more books off of The New York Times' 25 Best Works of American Fiction of the last 25 years - The list of the 25 best works of ficiton actually contains thirty novels; I have read twenty of them, and hope to get to twenty-five by the end of the year. This list, in its entirety, was my reading resolution a few years ago, but there's only so much Philip Roth and Cormac McCarthy one can read in a calendar year.

3) Read at least one volume of a fantasty novel franchises - This year, I read, and loved, Lev Grossman's Brakebills franchise, and it has inspired me to start another one this year. George R. R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice and Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles are at the top of the list

4) Read more classics, particularly 19th-Century classics. Anna K, Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone, and George Eliot are at the top of the list. They're all free on the Kindle!! How difficult can this really be?

5) Read more books I already own. This has two components - buying fewer books, and going to the library less. I love the Brooklyn Public Library, but the more I patronize it, the longer my books sit on my shelves, unread.

2 comments:

Valentines Day Roses said...

What a great list of resolutions..shouldn't be too difficult to stick too. Mine will be to try some new authors as I do tend to dislike change and stick to the ones I know and love.

Wade Garrett said...

VDR - That is a good resolution. When I read a novel and enjoy it, I often track down that author's other books and read them more or less back-to-back, which can be fun, but which can also 1) burn me out on their writing style and 2) keep me from getting around to other writers. I can sympathize!