Thursday, March 1, 2012

February Unbookening -- Mixed Results

This month I bought nine books, which is simply inexcusable. I am able to rationalize book-buying to a really disgusting degree. But Housing Works just had so many good books this month! I've been looking for a cheap copy of this one book for years! I've admired this one author's blogging for years, and he is also a friend of a friend! Oh hey the author is having a reading in my neighborhood, I should buy a copy to get signed! These short story collections are practically homework for the short story-writing workshop I'm taking! And so on. Fortunately, I gave away or returned eleven books this month, so my shelves are marginally less over-stuffed than they were at the start of the month. I'll

OUT
Gave four to a friend
Gave two away through Paperback Swap
Loaned out one
Returned five to the library
Total:11 books

IN
Bought Nine
Raymond Carver, Where I'm Calling From
Nathan Englander, What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank
Steve Hely, How I Became A Famous Novelist and The Ridiculous Race
Austin Grossman, Soon I Will Be Invincible
Chang Rae-Lee, The Surrendered
Roger Ebert, Life Itself*
Drew Magary, The Postmortal*

*Ordered in early January with a Christmas-present gift certificate, but due to a shipping error they did not arrive until this month

No comments: